The Rules: Before you do anything, get your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to SIGN this waiver! We will not be able to post your video nor will you be eligible for prizes until we receive it.
1. Entry into the Mining Association of Nova Scotia’s “Mining ROCKS! Video Contest” competition is open to all junior high and high school students in Nova Scotia.
2. The “Mining ROCKS! Video Contest” is closed to all individuals closely related to (a) each person on the judging panel, and (b) staff of the Mining Association of Nova Scotia.
3. Entrants must upload their videos prior to the competition closing date, 11:59 pm on February 23, 2018. Entrants are advised to keep a record of their submission by printing out their online confirmation page - a submission is not deemed complete until the confirmation message appears. The Mining Association of Nova Scotia will accept no responsibility for late entries or ones that do not comply with the provisions set out in these competition rules.
4. Entrants can enter more than one video.
5. Contestants who submit eligible videos prior to 11:59 pm on January 5, 2018 will be entered into a draw to win TWO $250 “early bird” prizes!. The winners of the prizes will be selected by random draw.
6. To be eligible to win, entrants who are under 18 years of age must submit a completed waiver from their parent or legal guardian. In the case of a team effort, each member of the team who is not 18 years old must also obtain parental or guardian consent. Videos will not be uploaded on the Mining Association of Nova Scotia’s website until the signed waiver is received. The release and waiver forms must be printed, signed and scanned and e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to: Mining Association of Nova Scotia, 7744 St. Margaret’s Bay Road, Ingramport, NS, B3Z 3Z8.
7. Eligible videos must (a) be a maximum of three minutes in length - any entries exceeding this limit may be disallowed; (b) be submitted in YouTube Supported Formats; (c) profile the benefits of mining to society; (d) be in English or have English subtitles; (e) not contain any inappropriate content including, but not limited to, content prohibited by law (invasion of privacy, defamation, copyright infringement) and content contrary to the Mining Association of Nova Scotia standards (profane language or content that could expose the Mining Association of Nova Scotia to embarrassment, contempt, ridicule, adverse publicity or otherwise reflect unfavourably on the Mining Association of Nova Scotia).
8. You should aim to have as much original music and footage in your video as possible. If you do use any music or images created by others, you must source it in your video. The Mining Association of Nova Scotia will accept music, photos and videos created by others if they are properly sourced at the end of your video. The sourced information at the end of your video will not be counted as part of the video’s time limit. Entrants may also be required to present proof that all persons connected with the production of the video and all other persons whose names, voices, photographs, likenesses, work, services and materials have been used in the video have authorized the use of their names, voices, photographs, likenesses, performances and data, without compensation, in connection with the distribution, advertising, promotion and exploitation of the video. Royalty free music and footage are available. To assist you with finding it, we have provided links to some sources of royalty free sound files and footage in RESOURCES.
9. Videos will be placed on www.NotYourGrandfathersMining.ca in the order received.
10. Best Junior High School Video, Best High School Video, Best Comedy Video and Best 30 Second Commercial entries will be judged by a panel of judges chosen by the Mining Association of Nova Scotia. The decisions of the judges on all matters related to the contest are final and not open to dispute.
11. The People's Choice Award will be chosen from among eligible entries on the basis of which receives the most votes from the public.
12. In the case of individual entries, prizes will be awarded to the person named on the entry form as the producer of the video.
13. In the case of a team entry, prizes will be awarded to the person designated by that team as the producer of the video.
14. In the event of a tie, the prize money will be split evenly between the winners.
15. All cheques will be made out to the winning entrant’s parent or legal guardian. Prizes are subject to change without notification and must be accepted as awarded. No substitutions will be made, transfer permitted, or refunds allowed, cash or otherwise. Winners of the competition will be notified shortly after the contest closes and the final prize list will be made available online at www.NotYourGrandfathersMining.ca. If the Mining Association of Nova Scotia does not receive entries of sufficient quantity or quality, it reserves the right not to award some or any prizes.
16. If a selected entrant cannot be located, or does not respond within seven (7) business days of notification, the selected entrant may be disqualified and another entrant selected until contact is made with a selected entrant, or no more entries are available, whichever occurs first. The Mining Association of Nova Scotia will not be responsible for failed attempts to notify any selected entrant.
17. The entrants grant the Mining Association of Nova Scotia an irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use video submissions, without compensation, including the stills, concepts, etc., and to use the applicants' name, photograph, likeness and testimonials, in printed, broadcast media or new media, worldwide, in perpetuity, in any manner they deem appropriate, without further compensation.
18. This contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws.
19. Any personal information collected for the purposes of the competition will only be used or disclosed for that purpose and in accordance with the Privacy Act of Canada. In providing such information, participants or their parent/guardian do consent to the use of such information, as indicated. The parent or the legal guardian will become responsible for anything related to the entry, the competition or the awarding of prizes if the winner has not reached the age of majority.
20. The Mining Association of Nova Scotia reserves the right to change the structure, process, timing, duration or any other aspect of the competition at its discretion. In the event of any dispute concerning the operation of any element of the competition or these competition rules, the decision of the Mining Association of Nova Scotia will be final.